Thursday, March 27, 2008

how others evaluate us

Today I did my simulated teaching for EDU 3217 Teaching the Language of Drama. I taught on the characteristics of Anthony from the play Anthony and Cleopatra by Shakespeare. My teaching partner of the day was Jayshri Subramaniam. At first I was nervous as I knew that my peers were evaluating our teaching. I felt like a prey being fed to a pack of vultures. Cutting the drama, it was really comforting to know that my evaluation was being done by my peers who have been with me for four semesters now. It somehow lessen the load of pressure that I felt about the 15% that I was going to be graded on by my tutor. The teaching went pretty smoothly, as we were quite prepared now after the many weeks of anticipation.
After we had finished, our peers returned the evaluation forms. It was disappointing at first as many of them returned empty sheets, not given their comments of improvement. we were judged on our presentation of our set induction as well as our pre- reading and while- reading activities. Based on the feedback, our teaching was well done with excellent fluency and relation of tasks. The setbacks were the projection of voice, especially mine which was quite soft. Besides that the set induction was quiet appropriate as the story we told related to Anthony’s character. Another minor setback was we not asking for student’s feedback. there was also some complains about the text as it a difficult to comprehend.
On the whole, I think that we were evaluated fairly by our peers and I think that it should be done more often as students like me feel more comfortable hearing what our peers critically than our lecturers. Evaluation by itself helps us realize our faults and gives a chance to correct our mistakes in the future

No comments: