Thursday, March 27, 2008

how we evaluate others

Evaluating my peers’ teaching was a real fun thing to do. I have learned a lot from this experience as I think that it would be very useful in my future teaching career. Evaluating helps people improve themselves, as they are able to identify their mistakes and avoid from future reoccurrence. In my opinion I think my peers, like myself prefer peer evaluation as it is less critical and even if is very critical, we are able to look past it as it criticism from own our friends.

When I evaluate my peers, I have to say that I look mainly at their set induction and their grammar, as I feel that it is important for future Tesl teachers to use proper grammar as students are going to learn from us. I also follow closely the peer evaluation guide provided which allows me to concentrate on the pre-reading and while-reading activities. I also look into the connection between the different stages as many of us tend to create exercises that do not relate to the topic of the lesson or the previous exercise. Besides that, I also look into the behavior of my peers as they teach. Today one teacher taught the class while she sat on top of the table. This type of behavior is unacceptable as students watch your move. So far, the use of language is average as only a handful are fluent. Their teaching style however, is very good and impressive, as they now have confidence. Overall, I think that evaluating has not only help them but also myself as I am able to recognize mistakes made and make sure that I do not do them.

No comments: